- This event has passed.
Growing Natural Dyes – Farm Alliance of Baltimore
March 31 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm EDT$15
This Field day will be hosted by Kenya Miles of Blue Light Junction. Kenya will share her expertise and community centered approach to growing plants for natural dying. Attendees will tour the Dye Garden and studio while learning about the production process including harvesting, processing and creating value added products from these specialty crops.
More about the speaker: Kenya Miles is the artist & alchemist behind Traveling Miles Studio. A one woman textile and fine art studio utilizing sustainable materials from earth pigments to natural dyes. Kenya’s work honors ancient practices while harmoniously drawing on a distinctive contemporary voice. From the valleys of Oaxaca, Mexico to the red clay roads of Ntonso, Ghana, Kenya’s process is a ledger of years of wandering and apprenticing around the globe. Kenya has facilitated workshops at the Berkeley Art Museum, Headlands Center for the Arts, and the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden. She was a guest artist at BMA’s “The Possible” and recently had a solo exhibition “The Central Sun” in San Francisco. In January 2020, Kenya founded Blue Light Junction, a natural dye studio, processing center, alternative color lab, retail space, dye garden & educational facility in central Baltimore. Blue Light Junction focuses on growing, processing, and preserving the history of natural dyes and their artistic, practical, and commercial applications. Kenya is an avid traveler, gardener, and above all else Indigo’s mother (her son).
This is an in-person workshop. Pre registration is required so we can plan accordingly. We suggest that attendees wear weather appropriate attire, and closed-toed shoes you don’t mind getting dirty. Be sure to bring a water bottle! There will be extra masks, waters, hand sanitizer, sunscreen & bug spray on site.
- Pre Work/Readings: We encourage attendees to check out their website and Instagram
- Parking Information: street parking is available, be mindful of street signs
- Access to Restroom: Yes
- Other Notes: paths are woodchip, the majority of the event will be indoors, there is some seating
- Cancellation Policy: In the event that we need to cancel due to weather or unforeseen circumstances attendees will receive an email notification.
- Questions? Please contact email@example.com
COVID and Health Safety Protocol
- Please do not attend if you are feeling ill, experiencing symptoms, or have been exposed to people in your life who are sick.
- Please contact the event organizer/appropriate Farm Alliance Staff to make arrangements regarding your absence.
- If you learn that you have tested positive for COVID within 5 days after an event, we ask that you please notify us so that we can inform participants about possible exposure.