Beekeeping & Animal Husbandry – Farm Alliance of Baltimore
July 19 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm EDT$15
This hands-on field day will be held at Filbert Street Garden and taught by their animal caretaker, Charles DeBarber. Charles will discuss hive health and maintenance, hive components and tools. Attendees will have the opportunity to put on a bee suit, enter the bee yard and examine a hive.
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to meet and learn about the other animals at Filbert Street Garden including chickens, ducks and goats!
More about the speaker: Charles DeBarber is an urban beekeeper located in South Baltimore. He is locally known as a “swarm chaser” that captures and re-homes feral honeybees. He has been keeping bees in the region for 7 years and manages the largest community garden bee yard in Maryland at Filbert Street Garden. Charles has taught classes at numerous bee clubs around the State of Maryland and has had articles published in Bee Culture.
This is an in-person workshop. Pre registration is required so we can plan accordingly. We suggest that attendees wear weather appropriate attire, and closed-toed shoes you don’t mind getting dirty. Be sure to bring a water bottle! There will be extra masks, waters, hand sanitizer, sunscreen & bug spray on site.
- Pre Work/Readings: We encourage attendees to check out their website and Instagram
- Parking Information: street parking is available
- Access to Restroom: Yes
- Other Notes: We will be interacting with bees at this workshop, attendees who wish to enter the bee yard will be provided with bee suits. Paths are grass, there is some shade on site and limited seating
- Cancellation Policy: In the event that we need to cancel due to weather or unforeseen circumstances attendees will receive an email notification.
- Questions? Please contact email@example.com
COVID and Health Safety Protocol
- Please do not attend if you are feeling ill, experiencing symptoms, or have been exposed to people in your life who are sick.
- Please contact the event organizer/appropriate Farm Alliance Staff to make arrangements regarding your absence.
- If you learn that you have tested positive for COVID within 5 days after an event, we ask that you please notify us so that we can inform participants about possible exposure.