The Harry R. Hughes Center for Agro-Ecology, Inc. (Hughes Center) and the Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI) are seeking law and undergraduate student applicants interested in careers in agriculture, environmental conservation, forestry, and/or policy for the 2022 Russell Brinsfield Agro-Ecology Summer Internship program. Multiple students will be selected for this eight-week internship, which includes a competitive salary and the opportunity to interact with leaders from the agricultural and environmental communities as well as state agencies. The internship will begin with an orientation session at Wye Research Center and the interns will attend periodic meetings at Wye. The remainder of the time, the interns will work virtually or attend meetings offsite.
The internship will introduce you to a number of complex natural resource issues, including nutrient management for the Chesapeake Bay, forestry, and local food production. During the course of the internship, you will meet diverse stakeholders and engage in the complex interaction between the agricultural and the environmental conservation and policy communities. You will be introduced to legislators and staff at state agencies as you work to resolve challenges. The internship is funded by organizations seeking to build leaders who are able to appreciate all sides of complex issues and develop solutions that consider the needs of industry, environment, economic, and policymakers.
- Participate in the multidisciplinary activities of the Hughes Center
- Attend regional leadership meetings for agriculture and natural resources
- Have the opportunity to learn from and support researchers at the University of Maryland’s Wye Research Farm
- Support ALEI’s staff in the creation and administration of legal education resources and programs
- Support Hughes Center and ALEI staff in developing proposals for future projects
- Be a licensed driver with their own reliable transportation
- Attend Hughes Center events throughout the summer. Some weekend or evening hours may be required.
- Undergraduate students should send their application to Nancy Nunn email@example.com
- Law students should send their application to Sarah Everhart at firstname.lastname@example.org