Location: DC Preferred but will also consider remote applicants
The Center for Science in the Public Interest is searching for a Program Assistant to support all aspects and functions of the Programs team working on national, state and local policies and corporate campaigns to advance a just and equitable food environment to reduce the burden of diet-related diseases. We are seeking a Program Assistant who aligns with this vision and seeks opportunities to contribute to it as part of a multi-faceted team. The position provides administrative support to and reports to the Vice President of Programs, who leads 30+ staff working on CSPI’s legislative, advocacy, and regulatory campaigns and activities.
CSPI, your food and health watchdog, is one of the nation’s leading public health advocacy organizations with a 50-year record of fighting for science in the public interest. We’ve led efforts to win passage of many state and local policies to improve school foods, put calories on chain restaurant menus and menu boards, and remove sugary drinks from children’s menus. National policy successes include the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act; Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act; Food Safety Modernization Act; and Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.
CSPI’s office is in Washington, DC. The preferred location of this position is DC where we offer a hybrid work environment. But we are also open to candidates available to work remotely in the United States. As part of CSPI’s efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees and visitors we require all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines as soon as they are eligible, and the vaccine is available to them.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and support a cadence of regular check-ins and updates from partner organizations, subgrantees, and stakeholders to inform and implement CSPI’s legislative, advocacy, and regulatory campaign goals and strategies.
- Provide administrative support to the Vice President of Programs and CSPI President and Executive Director including managing calendar; scheduling, planning for, and following up on internal and external meetings; and coordinating travel plans.
- Ensure that all Issue Briefs are updated, shared and discussed with leadership.
- Contribute to tasks related to CSPI-hosted events, such as virtual and in-person convenings, webinars, briefings, and Hill visits.
- Update and maintain policy trackers, shared documents, and contact lists for the Programs team.
- Research and compile data for reports and presentations, and draft documents as needed.
- Streamline and improve processes and systems to facilitate cross-team collaboration, and trouble shoot any bottlenecks.
- Compile programmatic updates for the board packet; support board meetings and activities of the Program Committee of the board, including scheduling, agenda development, and follow ups (with guidance from the Vice President of Programs).
- Compile agenda items for internal staff and leadership meetings, take notes, and coordinate follow up actions.
- Contribute to and support activities for strategic planning for the Programs team and for CSPI.
- In consultation with the Vice President of Programs, coordinate team- and trust-building opportunities to facilitate staff camaraderie.
- Assist with special projects and tasks as needed to support organizational leadership and operations.
The ideal candidate would possess:
- At least one year of experience working in an office environment and interest in equity, nutrition, public health, or public policy.
- Superb organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, results-driven environment.
- Ability to work as part of a cross-disciplinary team in a collegial manner.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the intersection of public health and social justice and ability to promote it throughout the work.
- Excellent research, communications, and writing skills, with the ability to write and format correspondence, fact sheets, and other materials.
- Proficiency with MSOffice applications, specifically Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to take initiative, exercise good judgment, and use diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Interest and commitment to CSPI’s work and mission.
CSPI is committed to including and valuing diverse voices and fostering a culture that ensures all staff feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to be their best selves. In that spirit, each of us is committed to putting in constant work to live up to our organization’s core values:
- We are inclusive. We seek to foster an environment where all staff feel a sense of belonging and are affirmed. We are not looking for everyone to think and look the same. We actively welcome and value staff with different experiences, backgrounds, attributes, abilities, and perspectives.
- We are open. We are honest and direct in how we communicate with each other in order to build trust and integrity within our organization.
- We are accountable. We acknowledge and assume responsibility for our actions.
- We are kind. We communicate and treat one another in a respectful, generous, considerate, and compassionate way.
- We are collaborative. We work together for the common good and shared success.
The salary range is $45,000 to $48,000, based on experience. CSPI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes: 3 weeks of annual vacation leave; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8 weeks of paid parental leave; excellent medical and dental insurance with CSPI paying a significant portion of employee and dependent premiums; and a 3% employer match contribution to the retirement plan after one year of service. We also offer ½ day Fridays through December 31, 2023.
Please utilize CSPI’s Paylocity Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to apply for the Program Assistant position. You are required to submit a resume and cover letter indicating relevant experience and interest. The application deadline is April 19, 2023.
CSPI is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspective, and skills and encourage people of diverse ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, disabilities, religions, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, work, and life experiences to apply.