The Bainum Foundation Farm is a 263-acre property in Middleburg, Virginia that is a limited liability company wholly-owned and funded by the Bainum Family Foundation. The Farm works in partnership with the Bainum Family Foundation’s Food Security Initiative to improve access to quality, nutritious food for children and families while strengthening the local food system. In this work, the Farm focuses on regenerative agriculture production and distribution pathways for locally- and regionally-sourced healthy food.
The Bainum Foundation Farm is hiring a Part-Time Seasonal Farm Worker to spend the season on the Farm assisting the team in growing produce and flowers sustainably by working hands-on in all areas of the Farm’s production activities. Under the direction of the Production Director, the Seasonal Farm Worker will be involved in production work in the fields, greenhouse and produce transport preparations (washing, weighing, sorting, storing). The sustainable production approach used on the Bainum Foundation Farm reflects our priorities to create healthy, ecologically-sustainable food, and requires considerable hand-labor (weeding, harvesting, trellising, planting, pest management, etc.), which is accompanied by some low-till but mechanized (tractor) cultivation and preparation of beds. The field work performed by the seasonal staff will be very physically demanding and will require that they can tolerate working in inclement weather and can work closely on a small team.
The Farm values and is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable, inclusive culture. We believe that viewing every aspect of our work through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens allows us to holistically support our staff and have a greater impact on the communities we serve. The Farm therefore strongly encourages and seeks applications from all qualified individuals whose racial, socioeconomic, ability status, and other individual dimensions allow them to bring unique and diverse perspectives to their work.
Job Title: Part-Time Seasonal Farm Worker
Reporting to Title: Production Director, Bainum Foundation Farm
- The position runs from April through November 2023 during the farm season. Candidates must be able to commit to the full season and 20-25 hours per week. The schedule may change during the season depending upon production needs.
- Successful candidates must provide a resume and work references and undergo a background check for verification of identity/social security number, most recent/highest level of education and most recent employment.
- All applicants must demonstrate that they are legally authorized to work in the U.S.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Equivalent combinations of work experience and training that provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities will also be considered.
- At least one year of experience in sustainable agricultural production is preferred but not required.
- Experience working outdoors is preferable.
- Willing to work in various weather conditions, such as rain, heat and cold.
- Able to lift and carry heavy loads.
- Able to work 20 to 25 hours per week, including one weekend per month, particularly during the growing season (April through October, depending on duration of employment).
- Capable of following instructions and working independently.
- Willing and able to work closely with a small team.
- Strong physical and mental work ethic and sense of pace.
- Driver’s license is preferred, but not required.
This position will be compensated at an hourly rate between $15-20 an hour, depending on experience
The physical demands described below are representative of the requirements by an employee for successful performance of the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be required to talk and hear. Ability to work outdoors for long hours is required. The employee(s) must also be able to lift and carry heavy loads of up to 40 to 50 pounds.
The work environment described below is representative of what an employee may encounter while performing the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may occur to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position will be located on-site at the Bainum Foundation Farm in Middleburg, Virginia. Most work will take place outdoors in all weather conditions during the growing season from April through October/November.