Oak Spring Garden Foundation is accepting applications for one full-time seasonal farm apprentice to work on our Biocultural Conservation Farm. This position will begin as soon as possible and will go until December 2022. The selected individuals will work at the Oak Spring Garden Foundation’s Biocultural Conservation Farm (BCCF) to assist with the production of vegetables to be used on site and to be donated to local food banks. This position is ideally suited for recent college graduates (not required) with a passion for food, farming, plants and landscapes who are looking to gain hands-on experience with small-scale, ecological farming practices.
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours/week); April 2022 – December 2022
Pay Rate: $16 per hour, Paid holidays and PTO are also provided. Onsite accommodation may be available
Location: Upperville, VA
Work closely with the Biocultural Conservation Farm (BCCF) Farm Manager and team in all farm-related responsibilities, to include:
● Proper care and ongoing maintenance of the production fields, production greenhouse, seed-saving and utility plant plots, cold frames, appropriate trees and open spaces.
● Maintaining the production fields including bed preparation, planting, watering, weeding, pruning, spreading compost, mulching and propagation of cultivated species.
● Harvesting, washing, weighing, and delivering of fruits and vegetables.
● Managing CSA pick-up for 8-10 weeks out of the 25-week CSA season with one other team member, and in rotation.
● Maintaining a clean and safe workplace within the BCCF Pack House (outdoor wash station, packing room and walk-in cooler), as well as the greenhouses. Maintenance to include: sweeping, mopping, cleaning and sanitizing of tabletop surfaces, harvest bins and tools, sinks, wash tubs, etc.
● Assist with the maintenance of the seed-saving and utility plant plots (bed preparation, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting and cleaning of seed, etc.)
● Assist in the proper care and maintenance of our pastured poultry flock to include: feeding, changing water, harvesting eggs, letting the flock out of the coop in the morning and putting them up later in the day, observing for injuries or illnesses, etc. This may also include assisting in taking some of the birds to be processed for meat.
● Work one weekend a month – weekend duties include taking care of chickens, managing field and greenhouse irrigation, light harvesting and washing of vegetables (depending on season), mowing, etc.
● Willingness to learn the use of light and heavy equipment and exercise safety precautions when using. Equipment may include: farm pick-up trucks, a BCS two-wheel walk-behind tractor, weed-eaters, tractors, leaf blowers, riding lawn mower, etc.
● Willingness to assist in any OSGF and/or farm-related ticketed events as needed.
● Engaging with the BCCF volunteers while they are here for their weekly shifts in a positive and welcoming manner. Assisting in answering their questions.
● Assist in sharing photography and BCCF updates with the Farm Manager and the OSGF Communications Team.
● Exercise proper COVID-19 related protocols while working including wearing a mask while indoors and in close proximity to others, frequent washing of hands, etc.
● Other projects as assigned by the Biocultural Conservation Farm Manager.
To be considered for this apprenticeship, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “BCCF 2022 Farm Apprenticeship”. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will continue until both positions are filled.
Jobs, Internships & Opportunities
1776 Loughborough Lane
Upperville, Virginia 20184