Great Day Gardens is a family-owned market garden and wood-fired bakery serving the Lynchburg, VA area.
We are hiring a part-time Farm Assistant to begin in March 2023. We may be able to accommodate a full-time position for the right candidate. Please read on for full job description or go to https://greatdaygardens.com/were-hiring-for-2023/ and email applications to Arden@greatdaygardens.com
Great Day Gardens is a market garden and wood-fired bakery in Forest, Virginia owned and managed by wife and husband Arden Jones and Michael Grantz. We are committed to providing nutrient-dense food to the Lynchburg area while engaging our community in a more regenerative and equitable food system. 2023 is our 9th year in business, supplying vegetables, sourdough bread, grain products, live plants, cut flowers, and herbs to two weekly farmers markets, a 50-member CSA, an active online store and a handful of wholesale accounts.
Small-Scale Ecological Farming
Our intensive biological farming system prioritizes soil health, pollinator habitat, and overall ecological function while producing nutritious natural food for our community. In 2023 we are transitioning from hand scale production to using both a 4-wheel and walk-behind tractor.
Crop fertility comes from homemade compost, extensive cover cropping, as well as organic-approved biological and mineral amendments. We use primarily preventative measures like crop rotation, soil health, and physical barriers for pest control, with the supplemental use of predatory insects and organic-approved sprays when needed.
Market gardening is demanding physical work and requires long days in the hot sun, performing repetitive tasks, and lots of squatting and heavy lifting. However, working with proper protection, form and hydration is a great way to stay in shape while skipping the gym membership!
Farm Assistant Position
We are looking for a part-time Farm Assistant who shares our passion for regenerative local agriculture! You will work with our female-led, 4-person farm crew in all aspects of mixed vegetable production.
This position will include occasional help with our field corn, wheat, and rye planting. We may also request help staffing our weekly stall at the Lynchburg Community Market in downtown Lynchburg, VA on Saturday mornings.
- Perform all duties on the farm alongside team members and independently, from seeding to cleaning up fields at the end of the season. Includes a lot of planting, weeding, harvesting, and bed preparation.
- Help farm crew with washing, packing, storing produce and preparing produce for market.
- (Depending on farm needs and Assistant’s availability) Assist Arden with Lynchburg Community Market Stand. This includes all activities related to set up, sales and customer service.
o Setting Up
o Maintaining clean, attractive site appearance.
o Making sales and providing customer service to drop-in and online customers.
- Operate as a supportive and positive team member, giving positive feedback and consideration for coworkers at all times.
- Some gardening or farming experience is considered but not required. The most important thing is that you work competently in an outdoor, team environment.
- Passion for building food systems based on ecology and social equity.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work up to 10 hours on your feet, occasionally outdoors in adverse weather.
- Willingness to receive training, follow detailed instructions, ask relevant questions.
Hourly wage: $13/hr+ DOE.
A Flexible Schedule
Contract begins Monday February 27, 2023 and ends Friday December 22, 2023. May be renewed by agreement of both parties in fall of 2023. Continuation into 2024 and progression to a full-time position is possible, depending on the performance and needs of the Assistant.
- Monday-Friday- 16-26 hours within a flexible schedule, mornings preferred
o Farm production work
o Harvesting, washing, and packing
- (Optional) Saturday mornings- 3-4 hours
o Assist staff at Lynchburg Community Market stall
To Apply: Send your resume, contact info and a brief letter about your interest in the position to Arden@Greatdaygardens.com