Apply here: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1593374
HCLS is seeking a highly motivated Enchanted Garden Instructor to join our team!
The Enchanted Garden is a sustainable, community-based teaching garden for all ages located adjacent to HCLS Miller Branch and Historical Center. The demonstration gardening area features a variety of vegetables, herbs, and flowers planted in raised beds and along the perimeter. The food grown in the garden is donated to the Howard County Food Bank.
You will provide extraordinary learning experiences and ensure the beauty and abundance of the HCLS Enchanted Garden! In your hands, the garden becomes an outdoor classroom providing students of all ages with hands-on gardening experiences to learn about food, nutrition, sustainable gardening practices, ecology and wildlife. You will work with volunteers and community partners to grow and maintain the garden.
You embrace, promote, and maintain an environment of inclusion, diversity, and you demonstrate respect and work for your colleagues and customers. Our remarkable team is committed to education that aids in the dismantling of unjust systems and creating a more equitable and just society for all people. As such, we work to ensure that this mission achieves our racial and social equity goals in all that we do.
We offer a friendly, collaborative work environment and a generous benefits package including 15 paid holidays and your birthday off.
Who You Are:
- You love gardening
- You work collaboratively with others to create new and exciting garden classes and events
- You create a memorable garden experience for the community
- You are a lifelong learner and enjoy teaching others about the many facets of the Enchanted Garden
- You are energetic and inspire fun
- You are comfortable presenting to a crowd and are a teacher at heart
- You motivate others to be curious and learn about gardening
A position you will love:
- You oversee the design, production, maintenance, and preservation of the Enchanted Garden
- You plan, design, and teach classes in the Enchanted Garden on gardening, environmental education and nutritional literacy for children, teens, and adults
- You collaborate with HCLS instructors to plan, design, and teach gardening, environmental education, and nutritional literacy classes in branches and online
- You coordinate educational opportunities with community groups, clubs, agencies, and interested garden volunteers
- You direct and oversee the work of the gardener/maintenance staff
- You ensure the application of environmentally sound horticultural practices
- You train volunteers and staff on use of garden and safety and maintenance procedures
- You work with designated landscape design and landscape installation firms for any garden features that may require their consultation or services
- You work with staff on identification and placement of memorial donation items in garden
- You contribute to planning the annual budget, manages the budget, and orders supplies, tools, and equipment
- You participate in professional training and development
- You participate in special events in the community
- You perform other duties as assigned
We are guided by these shared values:
- Position Howard County Library System (HCLS) as a major component of public education for all ages
- Contribute to achieving HCLS’ racial and social equity goals. Please view the Brave Voices, Brave Choices initiative.
- Effectively live the Seven Pillars of HCLS’ strategic plan (Authentic Values, Strategic Vocabulary, Everyone a Leader, Winning Teamwork, Community Partnerships, The Power of Us, and Fiercely Loyal Customers), motivating others to do so as well
- Advance HCLS’ educational mission, effectively communicating our curriculum, which comprises Three Pillars (Self-Directed Education, Research Assistance & Instruction, Instructive & Enlightening Experiences)
Requirements – Do you have what it takes:
- Four-year college degree; Preferred degree in biology, botany, horticulture, environmental science, earth science or a related subject
- Demonstrated garden-related knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated experience in local food, agriculture, gardening, or community gardening
- Ability to work effectively with others to plan and implement curriculum and services
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships with a variety of stakeholders including multiple partner agencies/organizations, elected officials, community supporters, staff, and volunteers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Tech savvy – ability to use programs/processes such as Internet, electronic databases, office applications, as well as other library related programs
- Current valid driver’s license
Your job at the library will be active:
- You need to stand, walk, bend, stoop, squat, reach, and push/pull a cart
- In addition, strenuous activity is required, such as carrying bags or boxes of books or arranging rooms for classes and events.
- Some driving may be required.
- Position currently located at the Miller Branch
- Works under the supervision of the Miller Branch Manager
- Full-time: 37.50 hours per week, Monday – Saturday, including two nights per week, alternating Fridays and Saturdays, and a maximum of two Sundays per month; evenings and weekends required for HCLS signature events
- May be required to participate in LATI (Library Associate Training Institute) Grade 8;
- Salary range $43,385 – $76,076 /year
- Position closes Monday, March 27, 2023
Apply here https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1593374
Howard County’s diversity is its greatest asset. Howard County Library System embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. All communities, including communities of color and immigrant communities, are fundamental to our spirit of service, workforce and long-term success. Equity and empowerment are top priorities. We believe all Howard County residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. Among our goals is for our workforce to reflect the community it serves. We are actively working to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Howard County Library System takes pride in providing equal employment opportunities.
Jobs, Internships & Opportunities
Baltimore & Central Maryland
9411 Frederick Road
Ellicott City, Maryland 21042
Howard County Library System