Greenhouse Operations Grower:
White House Nursery is seeking an Operations Grower to join our tight knit greenhouse team. This position will oversee the management of a small team. They will work with irrigation, pest and disease control, ordering, and overall care of crops along with lending help on other projects as needed. This position will coordinate with other teams, so a strong understanding of greenhouse needs, and clear communication is crucial. Prior greenhouse experience is required.
About White House Nursery:
White House Nursery is a family-owned farm that has existed for over a century. We are a 30- acre farm with 21 greenhouses located in beautiful, northern Baltimore County, Maryland. We also have a customer retail shop and an additional acre of outdoor growing space. Our nursery allows us to grow both traditional and unique plants with beauty and purpose. Our consumers consist of the local community and wholesale customers throughout Maryland.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– 35-40 hours per week
– Oversee growing and management of greenhouse staff
– Depending on the season, this position will manage anywhere from 3 to 7 employees, which includes the irrigation team and the production team from planting to shipping
– Coordinate with the retail, office, and maintenance team
– Coordinate and create the schedule of crops
– Spring: annuals, perennials, hanging baskets, edibles, etc.
– Easter crops: lilies, hyacinths, tulips, annuals, hydrangeas, etc.
– Fall: mums, asters, marigolds, peppers/ kale. cabbage, edibles, etc.
– Holiday: poinsettias, cyclamen, Christmas cacti, calla, etc.
– Assorted houseplants
– Measure, identify, and remedy crop health like disease, Ph levels, EC, moisture levels, nutrition, lighting, and pest management
– Apply bio beneficials or spray pesticides
– Apply fungicides and growth retardants
– This position will work on different duties based off need, this includes irrigation, production, and maintenance
– Regarding maintenance, you must be able to repair water lines, greenhouse structures like plastic replacement, repair growing benches, and other repairs.
– Ordering supplies as needed
– Maintaining relationships with vendors
– Honest, trustworthy, self-motivated as this position requires you to work efficiently on assigned tasks independently or with little assistance
– One-year prior experience working in a greenhouse with growing experience.
– Must be able to walk through narrow walkways, crouch, bend, reach, lift and carry items weighing up to 75 pounds
– This position is exposed to various weather conditions from rain to wind to cold and heat, must have the ability to work in these situations.
– Reliable transportation, no public transportation available.
– Working some weekends will be required during the busy seasons of April, May, September, and December
– Working flexible hours depending on daylight availability and weather conditions
Desirable skills and experience:
– We are open to providing some training to the right individual, but a minimum of one year experience growing crops is desirable
– Experience managing a team as this position will work with different teams throughout the farm
– Comfortability working with hand tools to maintain equipment
– Computer skills in communication and record keeping will be through Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience based off of industry standards
– Sick hours (available for Full Time)
– Open to multifaceted training for the right candidate
– Open to starting Part Time and transitioning to Full Time
How to apply:
– Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Provide three professional references