Position Description: Farmer (full time, year round) – Willowsford Farm
Willowsford Farm, which is part of a non-profit land conservancy, is seeking a full-time Farmer to joinvour team year round. Reporting to the Farm Director, the Farmer works with a small team to ensure the timely production and distribution of high-quality produce. The Farmer is committed to Willowsford Conservancy’s mission and vision and embraces the community’s values, image, and goals. Willowsford Conservancy manages 2,300 acres of land in Loudoun County, Virginia, comprising a 200-acre farm and 2,100 acres of woodlands, meadows, and wetlands preserved for the Willowsford communities, a development of more than 2,700 homes in four neighborhoods in Loudoun County, Virginia. The only “agrihood” in the Washington, DC area, Willowsford is part of a growing movement for residential environmental sustainability where healthy people and healthy land coexist. The Conservancy was established more than a decade ago to protect land and promote conservation and sustainable farming so that people in the Willowsford communities discover a deeper connection to nature and to each other. The Conservancy integrates a working farm with community-supported agriculture (CSA) shares and nearly 40 miles of hiking trails to provide environmental recreation, conservation, and education that enhances the quality of life for the residents of Willowsford and the greater community. Visit https://willowsfordconservancy.org/willowsford-farm/ to learn more.
• Assist with field production of organically produced vegetables including seeding, transplant production, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvesting, and post-harvest handling to meet production goals and assure high product quality
• Operate farm equipment and machinery in a safe and efficient manner
• Assist with poultry chores; including coop maintenance, egg collection, and flock herd health management
• Assist with harvest, preparation, packing, and distribution of CSA shares, ensuring adherence to food safety standards
• Record-keeping in accordance with NOP standards
• Maintain walk-in cooler and packing shed in a clean, safe, and organized condition
• Irrigate field crops and manage irrigation supply inventory
• Positively represent the Farm through customer interactions and engagement activities
• Engagement activities as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
• Hard working and strong communicator
• Self-directed problem solver, creative thinker, and team player
• Willing to accept and utilize feedback and instruction
• Experience in organic vegetable production with CSA emphasis
• Experience safely operating farm equipment; including tractors, tillage equipment, cultivation equipment, mowers, and other powered equipment.
• Experience working with livestock preferred
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
• Ability to comfortably lift 50 pounds
Work Environment and Physical Demands
• This position predominantly works in the field in all weather conditions and all times of the year, and requires heaving lifting and physical exertion, driving and walking in uneven terrain, operating equipment, and working for extended periods in rugged outdoor conditions. Every third weekend on-call & extended hours are required.
Salary and Benefits
• The salary range is between $42,000-$49,000 dependent upon experience.
• Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan with employee contribution, phone stipend, paid vacation, and holidays.
How to Apply
• Please submit a resume, brief cover letter outlining why you are interested in the position, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org (with subject line ATTN: Farmer Position). Selected candidate will need to successfully complete a pre-employment background and reference checks.
• The ideal candidate will be available to start in April, but there is some flexibility with the start date.
ABOUT FUTURE HARVEST
Building a sustainable foodshed from farm and fishery to table
Future Harvest offers a host of resources designed to help you navigate and contribute to a sustainable food economy in the Chesapeake.