Open Book Farm is a diversified livestock and vegetable farm about one hour outside DC. We raise chickens, turkeys, pigs, and steers on pasture, as well as a small, certified organic market garden. We market our food directly through farmers market, CSA, and local wholesale. As farmers, our focus is on soil health, livestock well-being, and direct-to-consumer sales.
Open Book Farm is looking for a person who wants to join our team for the 2022 season and potentially beyond. The ideal candidate will have experience in either vegetables or livestock, but will be excited to work in all parts of our operation. In this our 12th season, we know what we do well, and we continually strive to find ways to work smarter, not harder. We aim for a farm to be a respectful, productive, happy place for employees, customers, and our family!
Key Responsibilities for the Farm Team Member:
- Collect, wash, and pack eggs
- Move fences for hogs, laying hens, and steers
- Perform daily broiler/turkey chores
- Maintain optimal conditions in our chick brooder.
- Assist with chicken processing in our state-inspected facility
- Soil prep work: fertilizing, prepping soil for seeding/transplanting
- Greenhouse work: seeding, watering, and potting on
- Field work: transplanting, weeding, harvesting
- High Tunnel: trellising, pruning, harvesting
- Work to create an attractive display and a well stocked stand
- Strive to create a positive experience for customers
- Utilize POS systems effectively for accurate sales record keeping
- Safely travel to and from market and deliveries
- Maintains food quality and food safety standards
- Prioritizes organization and a tidy farm
- Works with an eye for efficiency and system improvement
- Maintains flexibility and a positive attitude
Work week is 5 days, Tuesday-Saturday 35-45 hours per week, with weekend chores on rotation.
Strong communication skills
Ability to make informed and accurate decisions and work productively either solo or in groups.
Ability to lift 50 pounds.
A valid driver’s license and clean driving record are required for insurance purposes and because driving a company vehicle will be an aspect of your job duties in this role.
Proficiency with small internal combustion engines (weedwacker, BCS, chain saw)
Experience with hand tools (drill, circular saw, sawzall, etc)
Housing is available in a furnished apartment for $350 per month. Full time employees are entitled to 5 paid days of vacation per year. This position begins April 1st and ends October 31st, but there is an opportunity for part time work in the off-season.
To apply, please submit a resume, two references, and answer the short questionnaire below to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Why do you want to work on our farm?
Please describe the most physically strenuous job or recreational activity you have participated in.
Any special considerations we should know about (diet, health, pets, skills/trades)?