About JK Community Farm
The JK Community Farm is a nonprofit farm designed to alleviate hunger and promote food education in our region with chemical-free produce and protein. On our 150 acre farm, we work with thousands of volunteers from all ages and backgrounds to each year to grow and donate more than 200,000 lbs of nutrient-dense food to our food pantry partners throughout Loudoun, Fairfax, Arlington, and DC through a variety of partnerships and programs.
The Farm Crew Leader is a season-long, full-time position on the JK Community Farm’s 20 acre produce program. Under the guidance of the Executive Director and the Farm Manager, the Crew Leader will manage the farm’s interns, assist with farm maintenance, field trips and volunteers in daily farm tasks. The crew leader works closely with the Farm Manager to successfully maintain and prepare the farm for volunteer operations. They will have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of our sustainable vegetable farm operation. This person should have a strong desire to lead others with enthusiasm and efficiency in a fast paced environment. At least one season of experience in intensive vegetable production is strongly preferred.
• Lead volunteer crew with field work as assigned. Typical tasks include planting, harvesting, amending soil, weighing /packing produce, and field preparation/maintenance
• Including push mowing walkways, weeding, assisting in plastic laying
• Train volunteer crew in harvesting techniques
• Assist with volunteer and educational groups as needed.
• Participate in implementation of soil health plan
• Help with the general organization and maintenance of all farm equipment
• Will assist with overseeing interns, and volunteers with field work and projects
• Strong desire to learn and grow as a farmer
• Interest in learning and growing within the nonprofit
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more
• Ability to multi-task
• Detail oriented and organized
• Commitment to social justice
• Values diversity and enjoys working with diverse groups, including ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and religious lines
• Ability to work both alone and with groups
• Ability to take initiative
• At least 1 year of intensive vegetable production
• Management or supervisory experience
20 hours/week seasonal at $19/hr
How to apply: To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to Samantha Kuhn, Executive Director, at Samantha.Kuhn@jkcommunityfarm.org..
For more information, feel free to email, visit our website www.jkcommunityfarm.org, or find us on Facebook and Instagram (@jkcommunityfarm).