Farm and Food System Fellowship
*Applications now due March 7*
Allegheny Mountain Institute’s 18-month Farm and Food System Fellowship is a tuition-free educational program that fully sponsors, trains, and empowers individuals to become teachers and advocates for a food system that is socially, environmentally, and economically just. Selected Fellows spend six months in experiential, residential Farm and Food Study at AMI’s Allegheny Farm Campus, followed by a Community Action Year, applying their training in partnership with regional non-profit organizations.
Farm and Food Study: May 16 – October 26, 2022
- Learn, live, and study with a cohort of passionate individuals dedicated to revitalizing the food system on a remote mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
- Gain hands-on experience in fruit and vegetable production, poultry care, rotational grazing, mushroom cultivation, beekeeping, agroforestry, ecological farm design, food preservation, whole food cooking, and multiple aspects of the food system.
- Explore critical food system issues and deepen farming skills through educational sessions and a diverse range of weekly workshops or field trips.
- Receive a $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Community Action Year contract. Additional benefits include housing at the Allegheny Farm Campus and farm produce supplemented with whole food staples, plus 3 days of personal leave, 3 wellness days, and 3 holidays. Scholarship funds are available help offset additional living expenses.
Community Action Year: January 9 – December 15, 2023
- Put training into action through a year of immersive farm and food work with AMI and community partner organizations in Highland, Augusta and Rockingham Counties, Virginia.
- Build knowledge and skills in farming, food systems, and professional practices through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips, and workshops.
- Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
- Earn $13 per hour (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly). Receive $400 sign-on bonus upon start of work. Additional benefits include health insurance, Workers’ Compensation, 10 days of paid time off, and 1 day of wellness leave per month.
Apply online at https://tinyurl.com/amifellowship2022 by March 7.
Learn more at www.amifellows.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allegheny Mountain Institute (AMI) is a 501c3 nonprofit working to cultivate healthy communities through food and education in Augusta and Highland Counties, Virginia. AMI admits participants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, State and local laws.